LLANDAFF CITY’S PUBS by Nevil James
Llandaff’s annual and weekly Fairs were established when it was granted a Royal Charter in 1206 by King John. These occasions were always thirsty occasions, and a large number of pubs and “beer-
Thus, in 1898 the Fair was finally suppressed and the number of pubs rapidly declined as their regular patrons no longer came to Llandaff. So what pubs are – or were – in Llandaff?
THOSE STILL IN BUSINESS
THE MALTSTERS ARMS (Cardiff Road opposite High Street)
This is an establishment of some antiquity, although the building as it now stands owes much to two post-
THE BUTCHERS ARMS. (Half way up High Street)
Also a pub of some age, and a side-
THE BLACK LION. (Corner of High Street and Cardiff Road)
So named because a Black Lion appears as part of the Heraldic Shield of the Mathew Family of Llandaff. Three of their family tombs are in the Cathedral and other members have wall memorials there. They were the hereditary Guardians of St Teilo’s Tomb in the Cathedral, and as recently as 1996 Capt.Mathew returned a reputed relic of St Teilo to the Cathedral from Sydney.(See The Legend of Saint Teilo’s Skull by Anthony Bailey).
For a short period in the nineteenth century this pub was known as “The Romilly”, in recognition that Sir Samuel Romilly MP, the Solicitor General and a leading anti-
Another pub with a “Mathew” connection in its name because the “Mantling” on the helmet surmounting the Mathew Coat of Arms takes the form of a Black Grouse – otherwise known as a Heathcock.