Once again, on the last three Sundays of August, the Friends of Insole Court held
their free picnics. Music was supplied by Round the Horn, City of Cardiff Brass
Band, and Cube. They were the most successful yet, with more than 500 attending the
Teddy Bears’ Picnic.
In July 2010, the Friends of Insole Court planted an Acer tree in the Acer Lawn.
It was to commemorate the Cymmer Colliery Disaster in 1856, when 114 men and boys
were killed. The Mayors of Cardiff and Rhondda Cynon Taff attended the ceremony,
with Sir Norman Lloyd-Edwards and children of the Llandaff Church in Wales Primary
School. Click for a report of the Insole Tree dedication.
At September’s meeting we were treated to an excellent talk on ‘Brunel in South Wales’
by Brunel expert, Stephen Jones. We heard about his work that shaped Victorian Cardiff.
And look forward to a speedy return for Part Two.
September’s Open Doors event featured tours of: Llandaff; the Cathedral; the Insole
Estate; UWIC; BBC; WJEC; Howell’s School and Insole Court. A presentation on Roald
Dahl was held in Llandaff Institute and free Edwardian Teas were served in the Dining
Room at Insole Court. More pics coming soon.
Former First Minister, Rhodri Morgan, switched on the Llandaff Christmas Lights on
8th December 2010. The crowds sang carols accompanied by the Llandaff Cathedral School
Brass Band and the Oriana Choir. Father Christmas made a surprise appearance and
gave out presents to all the visiting children.
A second Llandaff sign is to be made following the removal of the original Llandaff
sign (right). Cardiff Council received 16 complaints from Welsh language speakers
as the sign didn’t include the Llandaf spelling of the city. The new design was agreed
upon after a lively discussion in the Parish Hall on Friday 25th March.